Become a valued member of the Costume Department. Through theory and practice, the Fashion for Film micro-credential prepares students to work on set and in the workshop.
Project Wardrobe: A Night of Fashion for Film
On Wednesday February 21 starting at 7pm see inside a costume rental site, hear about working in costuming from experts in the field, and learn about the Fashion for Film micro-credential. There will be prizes, food, and drinks. Register on Eventbrite.
Designed in partnership with Vancouver Film School for the film industry's costuming departments.
What you will learn
- Costume department roles
- Production types and how they impact the costume department
- Life cycle of garments within the costume department
- Development of a costume plan in collaboration with a film crew
- Navigation of workroom and on set tools and environments
- Appropriate costuming labeling and documentation practices
- Attributes and attitudes to foster a successful career in costume
- Leadership and communication skills
- Tools to seek employment in the costume department
What to expect
The micro-credential offers real world film experience as a member of a costume department for an independent film. This requires flexibility, independence, a proactive and professional attitude, good communication, teamwork, creativity, and attention to details.
Student can expect set instructional hours in both face-to-face and online environments, and pre-production and shoot schedules which mimic life in film (long and irregular hours).
Fashion for Film offers practical skills and knowledge development through interactive and collaborative learning activities that are delivered by instructors and guest speakers with working experience in this field.
- Basic Sewing Skills. Applicants must upload an image (inside and out) of a complete sewn project.
Fees and other costs
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.