Become a valued member of the Costume Department. Through theory and practice, the Fashion in Film micro-credential prepares students to work on set and in the workshop.
Future Skills Grant Eligibility
Are you a domestic student currently residing in British Columbia?
The Future Skills Grant program may be able to cover your tuition and other eligible fees. Please check our website to determine your eligibility.
All other students may still register for this program through the course links below.
Are you interested in courses and programs for January 2024?
StrongerBC Future Skills Grant funding has been approved for midstream students who started their programs in Fall 2023 and wish to complete their programs in Winter 2024. If you're a midstream student, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated November 27, 2023
Designed in partnership with Vancouver Film School for the film industry's costuming departments.
What you will learn
- Costume department roles
- Production types and how they impact the costume department
- Life cycle of garments within the costume department
- Development off a costume plan in collaboration with a film crew
- Navigation of workroom and on set tools and environments
- Appropriate costuming labeling and documentation practices
- Attributes and attitudes to foster a successful career in costume
- Leadership and communication skills
- Tools to seek employment in the costume department
What to expect
The micro-credential offers real world film experience as a member of a costume department for an independent film. This requires flexibility, independence, a proactive and professional attitude, good communication, teamwork, creativity, and attention to details.
Student can expect set instructional hours in both face-to-face and online environments, and pre-production and shoot schedules which mimic life in film (long and irregular hours).
Fashion for Film offers practical skills and knowledge development through interactive and collaborative learning activities that are delivered by instructors and guest speakers with working experience in this field.
- Basic Sewing Skills. Applicants must upload an image (inside and out) of a complete sewn project, examples of which may include any of the following:
- Hem Samples
- Topstitched Collar with Stand, on Yoke
- Fly Zipper with Waistband
Fees and other costs
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
Need help with tuition?
Explore your options for scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.