Please note: The next intake for the Gladue Report Writing program will be for the Winter 2023 semester. Applications will be welcomed for submission and review starting Spring 2022.
Play a role in reconciliation by learning the legal standards for addressing an Indigenous offender’s personal and cultural history in advance of sentencing.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply the Gladue approach to write a holistic, individualized, and objective Gladue report that assists the Canadian Judicial System in making well-informed decisions
- Apply a narrative and trauma-informed approach to gather, analyze, and communicate information for a Gladue Report
- Identify and describe the legal history and legislation informing Gladue rights
- Act professionally and ethically as a Gladue Writer
- Explain the impact of colonialism on Indigenous peoples and their relationship with the Canadian Judicial System
What to expect
Courses are delivered through a combination of face-to-face and online instructional activities including, but not limited to, lectures, seminars, group discussion and activities, demonstrations, guest lectures, videos, clinical simulations, and field trips.
- English 12 with a minimum ‘C+’ grade, or equivalent
- Letter of intent
- Successful interview with the department based on criteria reflecting the recommended student characteristics
- To participate in capstone/practicum you may need security clearance
- Awareness of community support services
- Awareness of the Canadian judicial system
- Appreciation of Indigenous cultures and history
- Good writing skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Interest or passion for Indigenous justice
Fees and other costs
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.